Parramatta Marist High is the oldest Catholic school in Australia with a history and tradition spanning over 190 years. Founded in 1820 by Fr John Therry, the original site was adjacent to St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta, and became a highly respected Catholic school for both boys and girls from western Sydney.
From 1820 to 1875 dedicated Catholic lay teachers largely taught students attending the school. It was also during this time that the King’s School opened nearby in the old Government Horticultural Garden- the school would go on to become Marist’s chief opponents in cricket, rugby and athletics.
In 1875, the Marist Brothers took over the running of the Catholic school in Parramatta. The Marist Brothers had arrived in Australia only three years earlier and under Br Ludovic’s direction, Br Ange, Br. Edwin and Br Stanislaus were charged with the running of the now ‘Marist’ school at Parramatta.
The 1880s were important years for Marist. In 1888, a new monastery was built next to the school and in 1889 a new headmaster, a Frenchman, Brother Claudius, was appointed principal of the school. During this time, enrolments increased to over 250, the first senior classes were presented for public examinations with notable success, facilities were expanded, extra classes were organised at night and on weekends and competitive sports were promoted vigorously with next-door neighbours- the King’s School. Throughout the last years of the 19th century and into the new century, Parramatta Marist began to flourish and gain a reputation as specialising in the all-round education of boys in western Sydney.
In 1918, the original stone building was demolished and replaced with the building that housed the junior school until 1994. During the 1920s and 1930s numbers continued to grow, placing more pressure on classroom accommodation. The 1940s and 1950s saw the growth and consolidation of the secondary school and a fine record of scholastic and sporting success. Despite the erection of a new wing in 1956, the school was at breaking point by the early 1960s as enrolment reached over 1000. Resultantly, classes had to be taught in the Parish Hall (which had been sub-divided); on verandas; at St Vincent Boy’s Home and even under an oak tree in the school grounds. Consequently, the decision was taken to move the secondary classes to Westmead and leave only the primary classes at the Parramatta site.
In 1966, the school relocated to the spacious grounds attached to St Vincent's Boys' Home at Westmead. Secondary students transferred immediately but Years 5 and 6 remained at Parramatta until the phasing out of the junior school at the Victoria Road site in 1994.
In 1966, the first stage of the buildings on the new Westmead campus was opened and most classes transferred. Subsequent stages of building completed included: the Monastery in 1968; the Swimming Pool in 1968; the Library in 1971; the Senior Block in 1973; Arts and Techniques Centre in 1982; and the Administration Block in 1984. In 1993, the Morley Centre was opened as a new multi-purpose facility and the new Science Building was opened in 2001. In 2003, the library was refurbished and named the Br Ludovic Learning Centre in honour of the first leader of the Marists in Australia. In 2006, an eLearning Centre was created on the lower floor of the Harroway building and in 2007 the Science laboratories, TAS and Creative Arts areas were updated and a 172-seat theatrette was built on the site of the old canteen.
In 2008, under the direction of Principal Br Patrick Howlett, the school introduced a new pedagogical approach, Project-Based Learning (PBL), into Year 9. Classrooms were redesigned in an open plan style to cater for this new pedagogy and the technology-rich environment. Further pedagogical change was necessitated by the progression of the year 9 students into year 11 in 2010. This new model is based on the problem-based learning approach currently utilised by the Republic Polytechnic, Singapore, and is known as ‘1-5-1’ (reflecting the structure of the hours undertaken). Currently, yr 11 students undertake 151 lessons on the UWS site in a building named the Champagnat Centre. In 2011, the first Parramatta Marist students who undertook PBL and 151 sat their HSC examinations. These students have not only upheld the proud and successful academic tradition of Australia’s oldest Catholic school but are also better equipped for life in the 21st century.